A MOVEMENT JUST DO IT

Friday 7 December 2012


How to live without garbage


1. Transition to non-disposable products
First, I had to find replacements for everything that I used to throw away.  I searched for replacements for deodorant, toothpaste, dog food, plastic bags, and lots more. 
I gave away of all of my disposable stuff, including everything that I thought could possibly break within the next year, like my vacuum cleaner and my automatic cat feeders.
I had to figure out what to eat, since so much of our food is wrapped in a layer of packaging. No more packaged salad, no more almond milk in tetra packs, no more packaged cheese … just to name a few. 
I have included on this website all of my ideas (so far) for replacing disposable items.  There are so many possibilities - it just takes a little imagination!

2. Change Habits
I learned that if I want to change a habit, I have to train myself.  If I forget a cloth grocery bag, I make myself buy another.  If I forget a travel mug or water bottle, I buy another.
  
3. Attentive shopping
I have learned to avoid garbage by shopping well.  I try to preempt the garbage.  I buy in bulk, buy local, buy second-hand, and I’m always on the lookout for an item that does not come in plastic.

4. Composting
About half of all household garbage is compostable.  If you want to take just one step toward reducing your garbage, then build a compost pile.  It’s easier than you think!

5. Recycle, recycle, recycle

No comments:

Post a Comment